¿Español? Haga Clic en "Translate" se encuentra arriba en esta pagina!
Greetings, Aviator Families -
We hope that you all have had a wonderful week, and we hope you enjoy the long weekend!
We are only nine school days away from our Spring Common Assessments! These exams are important opportunities for us to target our instructional focus as we head into STAAR Testing that will take place in May. Please help us ensure that your Aviator is prepared by having them coming to school each and every day.
If you did not have a chance to read the Principal Transition Update that was sent home on Monday, February 14th, you can find the letter here.
Have a wonderful weekend, and we’ll see you next week!
Mr. Sander & Ms. Brown
February 21, 2022: No School-Student & Staff Holiday
February 22-24, 2022: ASPIRE Enrollment
March 11, 2022: No School- Student Holiday
March 14-March 18: Spring Break- No School
You can find the YES Prep Academic Calendar online here.
YES Prep Hobby High School Opening August 2022
The countdown is on to the opening of YES Prep Hobby Secondary’s High School in August 2022! We are so excited for the Class of 2026 to reach this milestone in their YES Prep Hobby career.
You do not have to submit an application to the YES Prep Lottery for 9th grade at YES Prep Hobby if your Aviator is already an 8th grade student at YES Prep Hobby. YES Prep students are guaranteed a seat if they meet all promotion requirements for their grade level.
Hobby Swag Catalog:
Didn’t get a chance to order yourself or your Aviator some Hobby swag last semester? We’ve got you covered! Check out our new catalog. Be sure to order your gear by March 4th! This is a fundraiser for our campus. The more we purchase as an Aviator family, the more we may receive in gifts or funds for our campus!
Fundraiser - Spring 2022 - Fan Cloth
Bus Tracking App and Bus Communication
Our bus service tries its best to be on time at stops in the morning and afternoon. Occasionally the bus runs into a problem with traffic or construction which causes it to run late to your stop. We encourage all families to download and use the bus tracking app to monitor where the bus is on its route to your stop. FirstView® app. (School code: A6YZ) For instructions on how to download the app and frequent questions, please click English or Spanish
Morning Late Arrival
If the bus is more than 10 minutes late in the morning to your stop, please call the front office and report it so we can contact Huerta Bus Service for an update.
Afternoon Late Arrival
Once the office learns that a bus is delayed to stops in the afternoon, we will post it over our social media. If your student has a phone, we ask them to contact you with the estimated time they’ll reach their stop in the afternoon.
Bus Tracking App
The bus tracking app should be working for all routes at this point. Our home office had to readjust the GPS signal on the buses. If your app is still not working during the bus times in the morning or afternoon, please report it to the front office. You can find the instructions to download the bus tracking app on our social media pages. Or call the office to have a flyer sent home with your student.
Due to an increased number of dress code violations, we are working to support students in promoting a positive learning environment. Students who come to school wearing athletic pants, ripped pants, crop tops, crocs/slides (shoes) or other clothing that does not meet our dress code will call home for a change of clothes. Thank you for helping us uphold a positive learning environment by sending your students to school following our dress code policy.
You can find our dress code policy in our Hobby Individual Campus Supplement Handbook. Find the complete student handbooks here
COVID-19 Health and Safety Reminders:
As we start the second semester, we know that COVID-19 continues to impact our school and broader Houston community.
We encourage Aviators to stay home when they are not feeling well and ask that you please contact the school at 713-842-5600 if your student is going to be absent.
If your student tests positive for COVID-19, please contact us as soon as you are able. Students with a positive COVID-19 test result may return to school when:
- Ten (10) days have passed since a positive COVID-19 test result or symptom onset, AND
- The students’ symptoms have improved, AND
- The student is fever-free for 24 hours without medication. A “fever” is considered a temperature 100.0 higher.
Ways to Keep Our Community Safe
- Wearing a mask is the expectation while on campus. Students should continue to wear a mask on the bus, at school, and while at school-sponsored events.
- We continue to clean our school on a regular schedule and pay close attention to the cleaning of high-traffic areas.
- We ask families to please conduct an at-home health screening each day to ensure that your student, and all YES Prep community members, stay safe and COVID-free.
- Lastly, vaccination is currently the best protection against COVID-19. Health officials encourage everyone 5 years and older to get vaccinated and for those eligible, a booster dose. YES Prep continues to offer COVID-19 vaccines via Legacy Community Health clinics located at various YES Prep campuses. Schedule your child's vaccination with Legacy by clicking here.
In recent months there has been a nationwide trend of students under the age of 18 vaping or using electronic cigarettes. We have included information below for you to review and encourage you to talk with your student about the effects of this. If you have questions about vaping or suspect that your student may be vaping, please reach out to Ms. Martello our Student Support Counselor for support Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org or 713) 967-9257
What Is Vaping:
How can you support your student? Vaping is the inhaling of a vapor created by an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) or another vaping device. E-cigarettes are battery-powered smoking devices. They have cartridges filled with a liquid that usually contains nicotine, THC, flavorings, and chemicals. The liquid is heated into a vapor, which the person inhales. That's why using e-cigarettes is called "vaping."
What Are the Health Effects of Vaping?
Vaping has not been around long enough for us to know how it affects the body over time. But health experts are reporting serious lung damage in people who vape, including some deaths. Vaping puts nicotine into the body. Nicotine is highly addictive and can:
- slow brain development in kids and teens and affect memory, concentration, learning, self-control, attention, and mood
- increase the risk of other types of addiction as adults
- irritate the lungs
- may cause serious lung damage and even death
- can lead to smoking cigarettes and other forms of tobacco use
- Some people use e-cigarettes to vape marijuana, THC oil, and other dangerous chemicals. Besides irritating the lungs, these drugs also affect how someone thinks, acts, and feels.
- Transportation - View our current bus routes
- Skyward - View grades: assignment grades, progress report grades, and report card grades. Attendance: tardies, absences, etc. Schedule: classes your student is enrolled in.
- Schoology - parental access to Schoology, you can sign up for weekly reports as well as impersonate your child/children to view their classes, current and upcoming assignments, grades, etc. Schoology one pager: English | Español.
- HERO - Behavior tracker
FOLLOW US ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS!
Follow us on social media to stay updated on campus events, get to meet our teachers, and watch other fun campus culture videos!
YouTube: YES Prep Hobby
YES Prep Alumni Scholarship Reminder
Militza Stair, Director of Alumni Affairs
Through the generosity of various organizations and individual donors, the YES Prep Alumni Scholarship Program provides financial support to YES Prep graduates to support them in being able to afford college, often meeting the gaps not covered by federal, state, or institutional financial aid. All seniors received a presentation about the Alumni Scholarship Application process in Senior Seminar in late January, and the application window opened 1/25. Applications are due February 27th at midnight (11:59 PM). These scholarships include:
- The Rowlinson Scholarship: Rowlinson is a four-year renewable scholarship totaling $12,500. YES Prep alumni must be enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university outside of Texas and must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in order to renew the scholarship each year.
- The Pagan Family Scholarship: This scholarship is a four-year renewable scholarship award totaling $8,000. The scholarship supports YES Prep alumni who attend a college or university outside Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas or Oklahoma. All students who receive the scholarship have strong academics at YES Prep and maintain at least a 2.5 college GPA to renew the scholarship each year.
- The Assistance League of Houston Scholarship: This scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000 to support YES Prep alumni attending colleges or universities in Texas. Students receive $500 per semester and must achieve at least a 2.5 college GPA to receive the scholarship.
- The Wiley Foundation Scholarship: This scholarship is a one-time award of $1,000 that is open to all YES Prep alumni attending a two- or four-year college/university.
- YES Prep also offers additional Scholarships supported by the EAH, The Jenkins Scholarship, AIM, the Crain Family, and Sibley Family.
The application is open to all current seniors. Families, please encourage and support your seniors to apply to these scholarships, by the Sunday, February 27th, as applications close next week.
Hi YES Prep Hobby Parents!
My name is Ms. Jalicia Hines and I am the Founding ASPIRE Coordinator here at YES Prep Hobby. The ASPIRE program is an afterschool program where we focus on the Academic, identity, college enrichment and family engagement. The ASPIRE Program will be providing before and after school programing for the Hobby student body. If your child is interested in the afterschool program, we will be having enrollment/ Family night the week of March 7th. Be on the look out for more information